Monday, September 26, 2005

A debate...


Hani, Mike and I

OK, camera still has no juice, so no new pics of my own (above is from Mike). Was going to show you the amazing Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi (and still will, en Shallah). If my camera was going to poop somewhere, Riyadh ain't a bad place for it. There is not much to distinguish this place from Amarillo, Texas - a hell-hole I've actually been to. But at least in Amarillo you can drink beer and flirt with pretty ladies. Not in Riyadh. Oh no.

So another digression: over the course of this trip, Mike and I have been debating over what allows you to claim having "been to" a country. I take the simple view that you must at least spend the night, and hopefully eat some distinctive food, try the local beer. Even this is sometimes cutting it close. Best if you can spend a few nights, see some sights, meet some locals. Mike, being an old man with little time left on this Earth (I keed, I keed), argues that simply setting foot in an airport gives one right to claim a country. How lame.

So who is more right? Or do you have your own benchmark? One other rep said you have to brush your teeth there. I thought that was interesting. Please comment... and visit Mike's site to heckle him.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In order to claim a country, you must get drunk there. It's the American way. Sorry, Mike.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Brushing your teeth doesnt cut it-I did that in the London airport and I dont claim the UK. I think it is getting out of the major transportation depot-be it bus, train, or plane, and seeing some of the sights and eating something specific to that region.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tenacious T said...

I agree with Molly, partly because she is awesome, and also, because you haven't truly experienced the local culture until you have drink, drank, drunk with the locals. I defer to my earlier comment circa: Bahraini Confessional, Wed., Sept. 21. Molly and I would be excellent writers. :)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You'll never be able to count Saudi Arabia. No flirting, no drinking, don't even take pictures. The Saudi Rent-a-cops at the Mall near my hotel made me delete all the pix I took there. I gotta get sneakier.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter